At midnight GMT an extra second was added to the old year in order to bring clock time into alignment with mean solar time. Here are six suggestions about what you do with your extra second:
1. Save over a lifetime till you have 30 seconds or more and spend them in one, big, extravagent rush.
2. Use it to think about the year ahead.
3. Reflect on the best seconds in your whole life.
4. Spend it thinking about someone else.
5. Convince yourself that you are one second younger than you would have been if they hadn’t added the second. Be happy about that.
6. Give it back through a gratuitous act of generosity.