Just a few observations from the seminars I have been delivering in Brazil with the great MindQuest.
1. Innovation only occurs when there is a culture of innovation in an organisaton
2. That is closely allied to having a learning culture: curiosity is the heart of innovation.
3. Innovation requires process and well as great ideas to make it effective
4. Innovation means a leap forward not a microstep
5. You only get innovation when you fix the ‘blame culture’
6. Innovation comes from below as well as above. The best innovation is spread throughout the organisation
7. Innovation involves risk and therefore risks have to be managed
8. Innovation involves money: it needs a budget to test, trail and allow time to be spent however small.
9. Leaders have to be involved and sensitive to the fact that they can kill innovation at its roots
10. A leader’s best role might be sometimes to get out the way