Ian Smith runs Learning Unlimited in Scotland. He has worked face to face with half the entire teaching force in Scotland and no one else can claim anything like that coverage, so he must know what he is talking about! I worked with him for quite a few years and he has built a good company around his core set of beliefs about learning and teaching. This is more than living your values, it is building your life around them!
I think that his 7 Big Messages About Learning are spot on:
1. Intelligence is not fixed.
2. effort is as important as ability
3. learning is strongly influenced by emotion
4. we all learn in different ways.
5. deep learning is an active process.
6. learning is messy.
7. we learn from the company we keep.
I have quoted the headlines: the web site goes into much more detail.