What does Obama’s Campaign tell us about Leadership in the C21st?
- The importance of vision and consistent values.
- The importance of resiliance and consistency.
- Humility and determination.
- The simple need to thank people and recognise their contribution
- The massive leverage of the internet and its role in building a social coalition
- The need for passion and belief.
- Not being driven off course by day-to-day rumpus
- Communicating, consistently all the time.
- AND don’t stop now you have won
This is an email he sent to his supporters in the minutes before his acceptance speech:
I’m about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there, but I wanted to write to you first.
We just made history.
And I don’t want you to forget how we did it.
You made history every single day during this campaign — every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family, friends, and neighbors about why you believe it’s time for change.
I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign.
We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I’ll be in touch soon about what comes next.
But I want to be very clear about one thing…
All of this happened because of you.